Friday, June 18, 2010

EWW I saw a nonsexual boob today!

Here's a little window into my personal world:  I had no idea who Kim Kardashian was until today.  I've heard the name Kardashian and I was vaguely aware that there were some Kardashians on television, but I had no idea who they were and why they were famous.


I just read the Wiki entry about her, and I still don't know why she's famous, other than a sex tape with some singer that I've also never heard of.  But at least having read the Wiki I can put this entire thing into context.

The #lactavists of the Twitterverse were all, um, atwitter tonight about Kim Kardashian's recent Tweet:  



Really?  I get being skeeved out by the tabletop diaper change, but clearly her "EWW" was also directed at the act of breastfeeding. 

Just so we're all clear on this:  Kim Kardashian, who apparently made a rather nasty sex tape with some singer, was disgusted by the sight of a woman feeding her child without a cover.


How screwed up are our priorities if, as a culture, we believe that breasts are fine for sex toys but disgusting for breastfeeding? And how do we change this?


For better or worse, Ms. Kardashian is in a place to be a role model for women.  She has a much bigger voice than so many of us.  Yet this is the message she chooses to project with it.


EWW, indeed.






mbj

No comments: