Tuesday, November 9, 2010

So, Jenn, how was your vacation?

Last week, our little family packed up and visited family in Southern California for a whole week. We planned lots of fun in the sun, some quality family time, a little shopping, and even a trip to Knott's Berry Farm.

And then Monday happened. The night before we were to leave, I got very, very sick. Like, projectile vomiting sick. I don't actually know how I made it home from work, but I do remember staggering into the house and crawling into bed. But I was determined to be okay so we could get on the plane at 7:30 the next morning.

And we did.

How did that go? Imagine spending the night sick, shivering and vomiting, wishing for either death or sleep but finding neither. Then imagine getting up at 5:00 the next morning, gripped with the aches and pains of a particularly bad flu but also the soreness of no sleep, only to have to to finish packing, getting your ten month old baby ready for the trip, and hauling yourself to the airport. Imagine carting said infant through the airport while heavily laden with a diaper bag backpack which you know only weighs a few pounds but in your illness-altered state feels like it contains a piano, a few anvils and the Tokyo sumo team. Then imagine a four hour plane ride with said infant, hyper, excited, and on your lap. Four hours is a long time to repeat the phrase "I won't throw up, I won't throw up" over and over again in your head. And then, just as a little coup de grĂ¢ce, imagine your delightful little infant having a particularly explosive and leaky poo on the plane, which poo managed to not only coat the baby, but even managed to find its way onto your nice new pair of jeans. Awesome.

Clearly, I was being punished for something huge on a karmic level. That was the most miserable day in recent memory. I wouldn't wish that sickness on anyone, except that apparently I didn't have a choice in the matter: As I recovered from the barfing death flu, my husband got sick. And then his mom got sick. And before long, the entire extended family and even our host was sick. I'm so sorry, guys. I bet you won't want to see us again for awhile.

By Friday we were all well, just in time to end our vacation and come home.

So, how was our vacation? I don't want to talk about it.

mbj

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it went like that, dangit. It seems like every bad flu bug that comes around tracks you and Dan down with a vengeance. - Scott

Eschelle Westwood Mumfection said...

holy jeez you poor poor woman. What a horrible vacation, i pray your karma irons itself out in time for your next vacation... if you ever decide to have one again lol!

Anonymous said...

Nice site, nice and easy on the eyes and great content too.