Friday, September 17, 2010

How we met: a love story

I'm going to be really self-indulgent on this Friday night and share the story of how Dan and I met.  It was such an unlikely occurrence, yet here we are.  I think it is a great story.

Years ago, back before Facebook and Twitter were household names, there was Myspace. In March of 2007, I received a friend request on Myspace from a total stranger.

Yes, we met on Myspace.



By 2007, Myspace had become a medium for bad band spam and adult pinup wannabes, so I was pretty selective about which friend requests I accepted, but this guy seemed nice enough and his page was interesting, so I accepted. He followed up with an introductory message, a thank you for accepting his friend request, and he told me his name was Dan.

We chatted for awhile - first by messages on Myspace, then by Instant Messenger, and ultimately we exchanged telephone numbers. We talked daily, and our conversations wandered to all topics but were always wonderful. We astounded one another with our common ground, and enjoyed learning about our differences. He was absolutely wonderful. He was also 2200 miles away: I was in Wisconsin, and he was in California.  I had a serious decision to make.

That year in May, I took the leap and bought myself a plane ticket to go meet Dan in person. We planned on spending three incredible days on the beaches at Ventura.  After spending those three days with him, I realized that there was no way I could go back to the life I had been leading. My heart still catches in my throat when I recall the day I had to board the plane to return home to Wisconsin without Dan.

And from there, it all came together: A few weeks later, Dan aced an interview for a job in Wisconsin. I packed up my life and we found a place together in Bay View. And since then, every day has felt like a vacation.

So what compelled me to write this? The other day, Dan said: if it wasn't for Myspace, Jack wouldn't exist. God, that was a profound statement.  Facebook may rule the day, but Myspace will forever be in my heart.

mbj

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so so sweet. I love it! Congratulations to the two of you. Youre officially my favorite thing to come out of myspace lol

Unknown said...

If I may add all the fun that this whole meeting caused too...TYVM

sulfababy said...

Awww, so sweet :)

Captain Cleavage said...

I love this! So awsome!

And the picture...had me laughing for a good 5 min straight!

Unknown said...

How do these stories always end with, "And then they got married and had an adorable son," or "And then they found her, floating in the river." I'd really like to know how many more stories wind up like yours and not the 20/20 version. Or just, "We met, he was so-so, we went along our merry way." Because it's kind of like the scary, child-abduction thing. The bad ending probably happens one time in a million, but that's all we hear about. Sorry, major tangent. Anyway, great moment of "self-indulgence." Those usually make the best blogs. Found you on Bloggy Moms.