Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Independence Day

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. Of course, it has an unfair advantage because it is stuck right in the thick of summer, my favorite season. Most of all, I love how we celebrate Independence Day.

Families and friends get together to celebrate. Cookouts, barbecues, days at the lake - these wonderful celebrations are what life is all about, and the 4th of July is a great excuse to spend the day under the sun eating burgers and brats.

Fireworks. Say what you will about Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but I will always maintain that you haven't really lived until you've been to the July 3rd lakefront fireworks. For years my family made the trek to the shores of Lake Michigan to eat, drink, play and watch one of the best fireworks shows. When Jack is a little older, we'll continue this tradition with him. I couldn't be more excited.

Flags. I love seeing people fly their American flags. We fly our flag all year, but we do a little extra on the 4th of July. We decked out Jack's stroller with two little American made flags. I want him to grow up with a sense of pride in his country. I want him to know the significance of our flag, the sacrifices that people before us, around us, and people yet to come will make to keep it flying. I want him to be proud to be an American. I want him to know our Founding Fathers, I want him to say the Pledge of Allegiance proudly, I want him to know the Bill of Rights and what it does and does not do.

I love the 4th of July. Happy Independence Day. May your cookouts be well-done, your parades be festive, and your flags fly high today.

mbj

No comments: