Monday, January 10, 2011

Couponmania

I'm afraid I'm becoming one of "them."

On Sunday I realized that I happened to have a coupon relevant to my grocery list: 50 cents off of a dozen eggs. I shoved it into my pocket, fully expecting to forget all about it by the time I got to Target later that day. Much to my surprise, I remembered both the eggs and the coupon, and as I reviewed my receipt, I realized that I got a dozen eggs for just 47 cents, thanks to my coupon.

47 cents. That's freakin' amazing. The power of coupons!

Some of my Facebook friends have recounted their couponing adventure. They exchange lists and graphs and flowcharts, and bust out their coupon quadratic equations and slide rules to review the Sunday paper. It is intimidating, yet intriguing.

Apparently there's a whole world of couponers out there. I had no idea. There is an incredible number of websites, mailing lists, and books dedicated to the art and science of couponing. Everybody's doing it, baby.

I don't need another hobby, right? Right? Even if it is one that saves us some money?

I think I'll take a pass on this one and just watch the coupon madness from the sidelines.

But Target did give me another coupon for fifty cents off a dozen eggs, so we'll see. We'll see.

mbj

4 comments:

Eschelle Westwood Mumfection said...

Sweet deal !! that's great.

Anonymous said...

I've gone in spurts w/ coupons, but here we can get most generic things cheaper than the brand names even w/ coupons. We do use them regularly for things like WW & Yoplait yogurt & some other things like that, but we don't usually get great deals on them. I just don't have the time to search for coupons & deals much even if it would save $$$, so I just use the easy ones I find.

Becky said...

Jen, you really need to check out www.thekrazycouponlady.com. She will open your eyes to a whole new world of couponing. She has a really good book out too. (yes, I have it!)

Regi:Create said...

My mom was a crazy couponer and I always wished it had rubbed off on me a bit more. I go through spurts and then the excitement fizzles. I remember my chore growing up was to cut and sort them.

New bloggymoms follower!

http://regi-create.blogspot.com/