Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We're crazy! I mean...we're camping!

This blog has been a bit on the serious side for a few posts, so today is a good day to talk about something light.  We are counting down to our very first camping trip with the baby.  I should probably call it a "camping" trip because it is the exact kind of camping that my not-yet-pregnant self would have mocked mercilessly just over a year ago: we are heading to the state's largest tourist attraction to spend two nights in a KOA Kabin.

I know.  When you are within a few miles of forty-plus restaurants and a score of hotels, you aren't roughing it.  Really, the campground even has wi-fi.  I may as well be sipping champagne and getting a pedicure while I'm there (and I could!  There are six spas within five miles of the campsite).  Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.  We have to start somewhere.

As C-Day approaches my Type A side has begun making lists and checking them twice.  Anyone who has ever done so much as cross a street with a baby knows that babies require a staggering amount of gear whenever they leave the house.  Planning for a weekend getaway means consulting Google, querying my favorite baby message boards, and creating a spreadsheet so I can be sure that I've left no stone unturned.  Even so, I have no doubt that when we leave on Friday, we will need to turn the car around no less than twice because I've forgotten some essential thing.  Like the A&D Ointment, or perhaps the baby.  I am actually concerned that our Jeep may be too small to fit everything we will need to camp for two days.

Despite the fact that this is going to be a LOT of work, I'm really looking forward to it.  I love a meal cooked over a fire.  I love glow of camp lights.  I love how our things smell like the fresh outdoors.  And by Monday, I'll be ready to have a vacation to recover from our vacation.

No comments: