Friday, March 5, 2010

Last Night's Episode of the Office

Yes, I'm going to talk about breastfeeding, just briefly. Last night's episode of The Office centered around the birth of Pam and Jim's baby, and it included some really great scenes about the struggles that breastfeeding moms face. From the baby's latch problems to the nurse pushing bottle feeding I had a lot of "been there, done that" moments during that episode. It was great to see a show that finally portrayed breastfeeding as a learning process, a struggle, and something that doesn't always happen as naturally as we've been led to believe it should be. I hope the show continues to follow Pam's struggles both as a new mom and a breastfeeding mom.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I agree. and I am happy they included a "rough around the edges" nurses. Even though all of my nurses pushed breastfeeding, I thought it was funny to add. I realize they did it just to make you feel even worse for her.

I was tweeting during the episode and so many mommies were mad that they seemed to brush it off? and that it showed the hospital not caring about them? I disagreed. I think they made certain choices so that in the end when it does work, it shows that breastfeeding is a moment between baby and mommy getting it together.

I was a breast feeding failure haha so it really made me happy that they showed how hard it truly is!